Terms and Conditions
1. Every artist must register to take part in the Festival to be included in the Festival brochure. If artists are sharing a venue each artist in that venue must pay the registration fee. It is not acceptable to exhibit and sell work on behalf of another artists without registering that artist.
2. All work must be original artwork and must be the work of the registered artist. There should be no manufactured or ‘bought in’ artwork, crafts, ceramics or textiles.
3. The use of the venue is an arrangement between the artist and the venue owner. Artists must ensure that the owner of the venue is aware that the venue is being used as an exhbition space. The artist must ensure the owner gives permission for it to be used as a gallery during the festival. The artist must establish with the owner how they may exhibit eg. if they are allowed to put additional picture hooks in the walls. Any damage made to the property as a result of the exhibition must be rectified. Artists must make their own arrangements with the venue owner for access and display prior to the Festival.
4. All venues must display their venue number. Any venue without a number and who has failed to register will not be considered part of the Festival.
5. All students in full-time education and full-time Staithes resident artists may take part free of charge but must agree to donate 10% of their takings to the Festival and should complete and return their commission forms whether they have sold anything or not.
6. Registration opens 1st February 2019 and closes on 31st May 2019. After that date the online registration system will no longer function and no further applications will be accepted. Any artists wanting to register after that date must contact the organisers and pay an additional £50 late registration fee.
7. Artists should ensure they are satisfied with their venue before registering for the Festival.
8. Artists must respect the needs of the permanent residents in regard to the space available in their venue, loading and unloading, parking.
9. Artists are encouraged to open their gallery on the Friday evening from 7pm-8.30pm (though this is not compulsory). Galleries must agree to open on Saturday and Sunday from 10am–5.30pm on each day with no lunch closure. Galleries are welcome to stay open longer if they wish.
10. Artists must curate their own exhibition or nominate a stand-in. The Festival organisers are not responsible for any of the exhibits or venues.
11. All artwork must be delivered, framed and ready to hang at the nominated venue in good time for the open evening on 6th September 2019.
12. Each work should be clearly labelled on the back with the name and address of the owner.
13. On payment to the artist of cash or cheque, buyers can take the work away at any time. Their cheques should be made payable to the artist. Artists making use of the Festival's credit card facility will be charged at 5%.
14. Students and resident artist must pay their commission as soon as possible after the festival either by BACS transfer, Paypal or cheque. Cheques should be made payable to the ‘Staithes Festival’ and delivered to the Treasurer Nigel Oates at the end of the Festival or posted to him. Details will provided in the ‘Artists Pack’ on the festival weekend.
15. Unsold work must be collected at the end of the Festival. The Festival cannot take responsibility for uncollected work.
16. Artists are responsible for insuring their own work. Public liability insurance will cover the event as a whole and the properties used as galleries. Please note this will cover accidents by the public on the property but it will not cover the contents of the property. Damage and breakages are the responsibility of the venue owner. There is more about insurance in our FAQs.
For the terms and conditions for caterers, please click here.